Saturday, March 21, 2015

Avocado Deviled Eggs


Yes, you read that right: Avocado Deviled Eggs. My plan is this: to post this variation of a deviled egg recipe, followed by a post about the "real" way to make deviled eggs sometime next week. After all, I am sensing lots of hard boiled eggs in your future...it's nearly Easter! This recipe for avocado deviled eggs arose because I am doing a Whole 30 (no grains, added sugar, dairy, or legumes for 30 days). Being on day 21, I am hitting the food boredom wall pretty hard. I needed a snack that felt like a departure from a handful of cashews or a bunch of sliced vegetables.

These eggs fit the bill. You mash the yolks with an avocado, some hot sauce, and some lime juice. You can add more to the recipe if you want, but these are sort of awesome the way they are. My non-whole 30 husband went by the store for more eggs SPECIFICALLY requesting more of these deviled eggs. I feel like that means these are winners, even when you aren't trying to eliminate some of the more processed foods from your diet.

I hope you enjoy these eggs and that you check back in next week to see the "real deal."

Ingredients

3 eggs, hard boiled
1/2 avocado
Juice from 1/2 of a lime
Hot Sauce 
Salt/Pepper to taste

Method

  1. Peel the eggs, then slice lengthwise. Gently pop the yolks out into a mixing bowl, then arrange the yolk-less eggs on a serving plate.
  2. Add the avocado, lime juice, and as much hot sauce as you want. I usually go for 2-3 tablespoons, but you can add more or less depending on how spicy you want it. Keep in mind that you can always add more hot sauce at the end, so start conservatively if you aren't sure about the spice level you want. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, then mash away at the mixture with a fork, a potato masher, or some other preferred method.
  3. Spoon the mixture into the well of each egg, then serve! I topped mine with a cajun seasoning for more spice, but that part is up to you.

Notes

The eggs keep fine, but they start to look ugly after awhile--avocado turns brown (it oxidizes) when exposed to air. Make these and eat them within an hour or two if that grosses you out. I'm an equal opportunity avocado eater, so I don't mind the oxidation. Just sayin'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment